Saturday 10 July 2010

Ripley's game

Seen on the 10th July 2010 (111 min)

I thought it was a good sequel to "The talented Mr Ripley". Patricia Highsmith's concern with belonging, true passion and morals are evidenced in this adaptation of her book. "I lack your moral concerns" is the flagship of the plot. Moral concerns on every aspect of his life indeed, but from the moral person's point of view is this intrinsically Bad? Apparently no, but only in a fast, transient and final time of your life. The English friend who is dying of cancer seems to have found true realisation and had gone a long way from picture framer to assassin back to admiration and finally friendship. It is hard not to see Mr. Ripley felt the same way, perhaps in the final hours of his life his appreciation of morals found a better, higher ground: friendship. True friendship capable of giving one's life for the other. So lack of morality might be good if a higher feeling is found it appears. But coming back to "I lack your moral concerns" who is I and who is You? Is you the person, the picture framer, the good family man, or is it something else entirely, is it convention, is it habit, is it just a good to spend life? Who is I, is it the cold blooded person capable of anything to find a higher ground in life? Is it I who does it, or is it only a body that happens to contain a true I, a true self? Interesting film but I would definitely recommend watching The talented Mr. Ripley first.

No comments: